Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It's Sad

As I walk around our humble abode, it can make me sad. Just the little things I notice that my wife used to do or work with around the house. 

The kitchen - the pots and pans she used to use while cooking our meals, they now set idle. I am the one that uses the kitchen now and not too often at that. I am not a cook. So needless to say I usually go out and get us a meal or fix something easy. It is hard to reconcile the fact that my wife probably will never use those cooking utensils again. Oh, she tries to go to the kitchen and do what she used to do. But, most of the time, I am there with her as she attempts to do things she used to do in the kitchen. I have to be - her balance is not good and she will probably fall if I am not there to assist.

The bedroom - she used to get up and make up the bed and clean the room. But now she doesn't do that anymore - I do. It doesn't bother me, I do it out of love for my wife. I know if she could she would be doing her old routine - getting up, getting dressed and going out the door to work. But, that is not to be anymore.

The restrooms - I used to complain about how much time my wife would spend in the bathroom - but, it's different now. I spend the time in there with her as well.  It takes two now to get her dressed and up and going. Lately, she sleeps in to around 9 or 10 and then gets up and hits the couch for a little more rest.

It's like anything I guess - if you dwell on things too long, it can get you down. But it makes you yearn for "the way it used to be." 

I have read all about this disease and there are many problems it seems we are yet to encounter. But I just hope and pray that they never come. I encourage my wife that this stuff we see on the internet does not mean that she will go through all of these - because each person is different.

She has good days and bad days. A good day is when she can get dressed and get out in the afternoon for a drive with me and our dog. She likes that. The bad days are when she seems to stay on the couch all day because of her fatigue. 

I encourage everyone to be thankful for what they have and embrace the times you have with your loved ones. We never know what the future holds - but we all can have faith in the man above - because without him, where would we turn?

So, another little tidbit of our journey As Time Goes By.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Joel. I know it isn't easy for you. I am positive that Sandra appreciate what you are doing for her and that you are also glad to help her in anyway you can. Remember, we signed up for richer, for poorer, for better or for worst, in sickness and health. Good luck, I will keep you guys in my prayers.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete

To make a comment or post, click on comments. Then, type in your message and - where it says Comment as: (select one of the accounts listed - if you don't have one of the accounts listed, select Anonymous). If you select Anonymous, you will have to post your name at the end of the comments you made in order for others to know who made the post. You can preview your comments also. If you don't want to include your name, that is ok too. When all this is done, you will have to enter the letters shown for word verification so the server knows it is a person and not a computer scam entry. Hope this helps explain a little more on how to make a comment.